WHAT’S FREE SPIRIT SURF LA FLEXIBILITY ON SCHEDULING?
Students simply have to choose the sessions they want to attend and then show up. You can even sign up on the beach.
WHAT IF MY CHILD OR I MISS A DAY OF SURF CAMP?
Then you may make the day up anytime within that summer. Remember to let our office know what day(s) and the office will let the staff know at the what day of surf camp is a make up day for you.
WHAT IF WE ARE LATE TO SURF CAMP IN THE MORNING?
This is LA and we know it may be difficult to make it on time. Make sure that you check in with our Director of the camp at the beach and let them know your situation. If know one is there, find a staff member and they will direct you in what to do.
ARE PARENTS ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE IN KIDS’ SURF CAMP WITH THEIR CHILDREN?
It is recommended and from prior experiences, best for the child to experience the camp with children only in their specified age group. Parents can observe for a maximum of 2 hours.
WHAT DO I (or my child) NEED TO BRING TO CAMP?
Participants should bring the following:
• Lunch – complete with snacks and water for both half and full day campers and any extra cash for concessions
• Sunscreen – We recommend that you try to apply sun block 30 minutes prior to coming in contact with the sun as the sun block will be more effective and that it is reapplied throughout the day. Bronzinc or Shisiedo sun protection products have proved to be the most effective.
• Hat – one that will keep the sun off you or your child’s face
• Bathing Suit
• T-Shirt – longs-sleeve shirts for kids with sensitive skin
• Sweatshirt / Jacket – For when the weather is not quite perfect or when the wind occasionally blows in the afternoon.
• Rash-guard – Especially for children who do not prefer wetsuits, rash-guards act as extra sun protection and prevent rashes for those who wear wetsuits or not. Free Spirit Surf LA provides a limited number of wetsuits and rash-guards for campers to use.
• Wetsuit – Please bring your own: Free Spirit Surf LA provides wetsuits to campers on a first come first serve basis. If you want to borrow Free Spirit Surf LA wetsuits, it is best to arrive on time in the morning at 8 AM.
• Surfboard – You’re welcome to bring your own soft surfboards only.
• Body board – You’re welcome to bring your own but be prepared to share by the people in your group.
• Free Spirit Surf LA recommends that your children’s name be written in permanent marker on all of your children’s items from home, and that parents check to make sure your children have all of their belonging at the end of every day of surf camp.
DOES FREE SPIRIT SURF LA PROVIDE ALL THE NEEDED EQUIPMENT?
Yes, Free Spirit Surf LA provides top of the line soft surfboards, body boards, and limited amount of wetsuits, along with the best instruction and staff of any surf day camp in the world.
* All day and Half day rentals can be made, first by calling the office.
WHAT IS THE EARLIEST I CAN DROP MY KIDS AND WHAT IS LATEST I CAN PICK THEM UP?
You can drop off you children at the beach after 7:30AM and must pick them up before 4:00PM. After day care can be made by a fee of $10/hour up until 6pm. Please discuss with the camp director to make reservations at the beach the day before. Contact the office 24 hour notice and fees must be paid in advance in cash or check made payable to Kip Jerger.
WHAT IS THE FREE SPIRIT SURF LA INSTRUCTOR TO CAMPER RATIO?
The ratio is 1:10 on the sand and 4:1 for surfing lessons.
DO I HAVE TO FILL OUT A RELEASE FORM FOR EACH OF MY CHILDREN?
Yes, each participant must have there own release form filled out and confirmed by a Free Spirit Surf LA registration employee.
DO I HAVE TO REGISTER EACH CHILD?
Yes, each participant must have their own registration form filled out even if they have siblings. In the case of an emergency the registration form will accompany the participant to the hospital.
DO I HAVE TO GO SURFING FOR THE ENTIRE TIME THAT I SPEND AT SURF CAMP?
No, Free Spirit Surf LA is not here to force you to surf. We want you to have a great time in the ocean so each participant can go at there own level. If you want to surf, then you can surf, if you want to body board, then you can do so. Free Spirit Surf LA’s goal is to provide a great learning atmosphere for those who want to surf, swim, and do each activity that we offer. We want to cater to each participant’s needs.
HOW DO I BECOME A BETTER SURFER?
1. Have appositive attitude and learn to surf because it is fun.
2. Know your limits and do not exceed them.
3. Learn about rip currents and other ocean hazards.
4. Use the correct equipment.
5. Feel comfortable with you instructor.
6. Get instruction from a qualified surf coach.
7. Ask questions about surfing.
8. Ask your surf instructor or a lifeguard about ocean conditions before going into the water.
9. Protect yourself from the sun – Use good sunscreen and wear a hat.
10. Swim and Surf near a manned lifeguard tower.
11. Practice, it is only going to help.
12. And please help keep the beach and water clean, do not litter.
HOW MANY LIFEGUARDS DOES FREE SPIRIT SURF LA HAVE WATCHING THE WATER AT ONCE?
We always have 2 ocean lifeguards at each camp watching the water. Water safety comes before anything at our beach. We are proud of our outstanding water supervision. It is not uncommon to see more than 4 or 5 of our lifeguards supervising the water at once. Even the Los Angeles County Lifeguards assist in our camps. As lifeguards our job is to keep all individuals who enter the ocean safe. In addition, all of our water staff has CPR certification and extensive education in water safety. We are probably the safest surf camp in the world. Just ask any of the LA County Lifeguards: Free Spirit Surf LA is the safest camps in Southern California.
CAN MY CHILD OR CHILDREN SIGN-UP FOR HALF DAYS AND FULL DAYS IN THE SAME SESSION?
Yes, our scheduling is very flexible so you may schedule each day and time for surf camp that fits your needs.
HOW MANY STUDENTS PARTICIPATE IN THE KIDS’ CAMP ON A REGULAR BASIS?
This number varies from 40-50 up to 100 kids a day in Manhattan Beach. Equipment and staffing our program is never a problem. We have the resources and staff to accommodate up to 250+ kids in the water at once. The reason why our enrollment numbers change so much is because of the flexible enrollment we offer. Although you can sign up for surf camp anytime, recently numbers have caused us to turn some campers away. Our Malibu location can only enroll 20 students. Please sign-up for camp as early as possible to reserve your space.
WHAT IS ALOHA FRIDAY?
Every Friday, all Free Spirit Surf LA beach camps have “ALOHA” fun where we test what your child has learned during the week. Awards for 1st-4th place will be handed out in each age group in sand castle building, surfing, and body boarding. Hawaiian costume contest is GREAT FUN that day too!! Come join us for a fun-filled day on ALOHA FRIDAYS!
SURF LESSONS FAQ
WHAT DO I HAVE TO BRING?
A bathing suit, sunscreen, beach towel and dry comfortable clothes to change into after.
WHAT DIFFERENT TYPES OF LESSONS ARE OFFERED?
Private lessons and parties are scheduled 7 days a week year round. We also offer Men and Women group classes (ages 18+): Saturdays are for men’s only and Sundays are for women’s. Private lessons are 1 1/2 hours and Women’s/Men’s clinics are 2 hours both including wetsuit and board. Private lessons are 7 days a week, year round. Now offering Yoga classes.
DOES MY LESSON INCLUDE EQUIPMENT?
Your lesson includes the use of a soft surfboard, rash guard, and wetsuit. Or our instructors can teach you on your own equipment if you prefer. If you are planning on bringing a fiberglass board to a group lesson it must have rubber tipped fins and a nose guard.
WHICH IS THE BEST LOCATION?
All of our locations are perfect for ALL surf students. (Click on the Maps link for each location that is best for you)
IS IT SAFE?
Our instructors are trained consistently on safety and rescue procedures. We have CPR certified instructors who know how to provide a fun and safe environment. If conditions are unsafe, we will reschedule lessons to a day that is safe. Unsafe conditions include: high surf, red tides, extreme tides, extreme wind, and rain runoff pollution.
WILL I STAND UP THE FIRST DAY?
Kip Jerger and staff has teaching methods that give you the best possible chance of riding the waves the first time out.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
The fastest and most efficient way to sign up is to download the application from the on-line site and mail it in with your check made payable to KIP JERGER. There are no Holds on spots since all our camps are first-paid, first-served. Phone confirmations are performed after we received payment in full. No credit card payments accepted or pro-rated rates.
WHAT IF I CAN’T MAKE MY LESSON?
Once your surf lesson is confirmed it is up to you to notify Free Spirit Surf LA 24 hours in advance if you have to reschedule. Surf lessons can be rescheduled and are also transferable to another person. They are not refundable.
WHAT IF AT THE END OF THE YEAR I STILL HAVE LESSONS LEFT?
Surf lessons are good for the year in which they were purchased and are transferable but not refundable.
WHAT IS YOUR REFUND POLICY?
Pre-paid surf lessons are transferable but not refundable and can be applied to the Men’s and Women’s Adult Camps or the Children’s Camps offered in the summer.